View Single Post
Old 01-05-2009, 12:58 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Larger or smaller....

When I first learned to turn a rod the fella that showed me said that "larger guides make it easier for the line to shoot thrue", recently I was looking through some various sites provided by some of you folks in another thread and seen that one of the rod companies deliberatly uses smaller guides to keep the flyline tracking closer to the rod.

I've been thinking about this and it makes sense to me that a smaller set of guides would allow the line to cast smoother, shoot better, and possibly be more accurate. I realize guides are but a small part of the equation here, but bare with me.

Wouldn't smaller guides allow for less 'Rattle/bounce' of the line going thrue them? allowing the afore mentioned things to happen?

Wouldn't larger guides allow for more 'slop' as the line shoots?

Am I just behind the times?

I'm not meaning the 'Striper guides', just the snake or single foot guides.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."