Thread: Need Your Help
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2009, 01:27 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need Your Help

Buckeyeflier-

Lamsons are great reels but i think you may have ahard time staying around 160 for reel and spool.

The Lamson Radius retailed for about 180 but Iíve seen them on closeout for about 120Ö. But the extra spool runs around 70 retail and I havenít seen them marked down yet. Do a search to see if you can find some, they may be out there. I think these are being replaced by the Lamson Guru for 2009 at a similar retail price point and your unlikely to see a discount on them, which also brings up the issue of replacement parts or spare spools for the Radius down the road because they are being discontinued.

The Lamson Konic will stay in the lineup. Itís a fine reel, but itís a pressure cast aluminum alloy frame and spool, not machined (not that it affects performance though). The Konic 2 (for 5-6 wts) retails for 130, spool 65, but that would be the same as a discounted Radius plus retail price spool at 195 for both.

If you are interested in Lamsons shop around, there may also be some deals out there with the lousy economy--- or perhaps you could swing a deal with a discount on fly line if you buy everything in one place.

But, Iíd say it would be tough to beat the deals on Orvis with free spools.
The Orvis Battenkill MA is machined, and the B MA 3 (for 5-6wts) goes for 140 and the spool normally goes for 75.

The BBS 3 (for 5-7 weight lines) goes for 130, with extra spool normally 60.

Either Orvis reel with free spool would keep you under your budget and should be fine for what youíre looking to do.

peregrines