View Single Post
Old 03-10-2012, 11:13 AM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice
Default Re: Cabela's TLr Spey Rod

Thanks Randy. I know it's not going to be the best but at it's really the only offering at that price point that I've found. I guess I just wanted to make sure it's not worthless. Also trying to figure out the grain window so I don't end up buying anything twice.
Most of my rods cost me less then a hundred bucks and they work well for me so I am more then ok with budget rods. Wish I could afford something better but if I get hooked into spey casting where there's a will there's a way and I'm sure I'll upgrade.

Was thinking about going the Scandi route with a running line to a shooting head, I figure that way down the road I swap heads if my preferences change. I am not sure if one has an easier learning curve then the other though.

Still figuring things out and trying to learn as much as I can.

---------- Post added at 11:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 AM ----------

Actually. If I have been practicing casts like the double spey and snap T with a single rod would that be more suited with a Skagit head then a scandi? Or does it not matter?

---------- Post added at 12:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 AM ----------

Just got an email back from cabela's CS that I would be looking at a 152-168 grain line to match with the rod. Does that seem really light?
I asked about the 13 ft 8wt. That might be a better fit.

---------- Post added at 12:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 PM ----------

Ok the 13 foot 8 weight is 202-218gr. I was thinking about going with that rod, 20lb runnning line and the Airflo scandi compact shooting head and I already have a reel that will work. I'm going to try to do this for under 200 bucks.

I like that the forum just globs all my posts into one so it doesn't look like I am talking to myself

Steelheader's Anonymous.