View Single Post
Old 03-10-2012, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Cabela's TLr Spey Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by siskiyoublues View Post
Ok the 13 foot 8 weight is 202-218gr. I was thinking about going with that rod, 20lb runnning line and the Airflo scandi compact shooting head and I already have a reel that will work. I'm going to try to do this for under 200 bucks.
Hi Carl,

At this stage of experience I'm of the opinion that unless a rod has 'no' action at all, just about any rod will make a good entry level piece. As for 11' vs. 13', I say go long. I'm sure I could make my casts with an 11' switch rod but I know that I will have to put more effort into casting. If you are going to do it then do it with the longer heavier rod. Don't let the 8 weight rating turn you away, I catch many small fish on my 13' #9 and it's just as rewarding as catching them on a 3 weight, but much easier.

Given that the river being fished is big enough to host the long rods, I equate the length of the rod into 'less effort needed to reach a desired cast'. I now have a second two hand rod, 15' with a 875 grain 66' head. The strategy is that I figure to reach what would be a long cast needing lots of effort from me with a 13' #9 with relative ease using the bigger rod. These rods should make your fishing of streamers and large wet flies easier, not harder, so............ Go Long

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;