Thread: Switch rods..
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2012, 12:43 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Switch rods..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
First, defer to the local experts on how they fish the waters that you intend to fish.

I have a feeling that they would err towards a shorter Skagit style shooting head with varying lengths of T8, T10, or T14 sinking tips. Those should get your flies to depth.

Dennis
I suspect Dennis is far more right than wrong. With these shorter rods (For the record, the odds of you actually 'over-hand casting' is "slim and none") you still need a pretty hefty amount of 'line grains' to load/cast same. With the short Skagit heads you have a far wider choice of tips, length there of, choice of fly size, etc.

From personal experience, for switch's, go to the 'short head' Skagits. Same grain weight(s), but more of a rod match. Just relined my Anderson 12'3'' 8wt with a 22' foot 525 grain Short Skagit, with 12' of T-11 or 12' of T-17 it just 'rips!'

fae