View Single Post
Old 03-03-2006, 08:49 AM

troutbum is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Which Reel Do You Take?

The highwood is a good riverwith easy access and the fishing has always seemed good for rainbows but I love the highwood for it's bull trout in the late summer and fall and if you want to keep some fish the highwood is full of rocky mtn whitefish in late summer,livingston is one of my favorite trout streams of all time it holds very good size and numbers of cutt's and bull trout turn off at chain lake and continue on dirt road over the "hump" and left at the "t"you will see livingston on your right there is a pull off where a small stream flows into it I fish it from there up untill it's unfishable.If you continue past livingston on the trunk road you will cross the upper oldman then dutch then racehorse,the oldman and dutch both have rough dirt roads that take off up the creek from the bridge and lead to open camping areas,on the weekend's dutch is filled with dirtbikers and campers but the fishing is fantastic,the oldman (upper) is great fish seem a bit larger than in dutch and not as busy,any flowing water in this area holds cutts and bulls and also whitefish,racehorse is past dutch and the roadthat takes you up to the headwaters is a oil servace road and can be tricky to find but the fishing on racehorse from the bridge up is great as well.5 or 6 years ago there where weekends when I was the only one fishing the area but now you will find lot's of fishermen on these creeks with dutch being the worst for crowds and race horse the least,like most fishing though the further up you go into the head waters the more solitude you will find,if you gointo these places be alert for bears as i have come across many make lot's of noise and I always carry bear spray,yes a 5wt is a great choice for line wt and rod and a hand full of hoppers,beadhead nymphs,and adams will fool most of the trout most of the time,dont bother with these creeks before the first week in july or later as run off will have them high and hard to wade,hope this help's you