View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Distance Roll casting

Ingredients; Slow to medium action rod with some backbone, DT or long belly light Spey line.

I've been making long cast with no back cast for a long time. Very much a roll cast but now more widely known as a 'single hand Spey Cast' I would describe most of my streamer casting as a modified snap T cast which is pretty much a power roll the way I do it.

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 PM ----------

There is more that I will say regarding this topic. I've fished many tight places over the years and have developed various was to get the fly where I needed it to be. When speaking about a really long roll cast; contrary to the image of the young man making that cast in the movie, I've never found roll casting conducive to effective dry fly fishing. What i mean by this is that the very act of executing repeated roll casts results in even the best of my floating flies being pulled under the surface and inundated with water. This does not contribute to a good floating fly at the end of the leader. For fishing emerger type patterns I see no detriment but the movie depicted a perky dry bobbing along to be grabbed up by a rather large trout.

The roll has always been a tool in the box that comes in handy in some dry fly applications but has never been a go to method for me. Streamers; this is another story entirely, I use what I initially described here (the snap T style roll) and have been able to do so with great results in the distances that I can deliver a fly of significant size to a target area. With wet flies roll or Spey style casts have no ill effect of the performance of the fly since 'the wetter the better' is a good rule for fishing sub surface.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;