View Single Post
Old 03-15-2012, 02:19 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salt Water fly cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefben4 View Post
OK! This makes sense... I am usually fishing with a guide in the salt so I am often on a boat. When I was in the keys I was 30 miles out and had a 15-25 mph wind for half the day. The guide showed me the cast and it worked really well for me and I would call myself a novice. I am working on learning the double haul for my upcoming tarpon trip at the end of april/beginning of may.
You should be fine then. It's a good idea to learn both methods. The most important thing to remember is line speed is not the same as rod speed. You can thrash your rod until you separate your shoulder and it won't do you any good. The idea is to keep the line moving. Sometimes you can use the wind to help your cast, some times you need to shorten the amount of line you have outside the tip. Basically you can't make a good cast if there is slack in your line, that part is obvious. The tricky part is figuring out how to get rid of that slack because the answer isn't always the same. Good Luck