View Single Post
Old 01-12-2009, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quality products......

Great thread!

Some favs for quality, as opposed to just expensive, in no particular order-

still going strong after 20+ years:

Matarelli Whip finisher- simple, elegant design, it still rocks the casbah. It amazes me that someone actually worked it all out. Reason enough for me to buy the original instead of less expensive knockoffs.

Patagonia SST jacket- great, you never seem to be too hot or too cold in it whatever the weather. It may be hard to justify at current prices, around 350 now, but was a great investment when i bought it at 160.

Billy Pate Bonefish and Tarpon reels. Heavy, built like a tank, indestructible. If you're in the market for a reel for tough fish but on a budget, it's not a bad option to look for a used one.

Regal Medallion (360 rotary) - Not the best vise for everyone or all tying, but it holds hooks rock solid, no adjustment for different sizes. With the old jaws i have i tie everything from 20 (with some effort and swearing) to 6/0. Somehow i ended up with 3 of them, with a backup for the back up...

Mustad hooks, the original ones, for most stuff these still work for me.

Luhr Jensen Hook Hone- one of those yellow handled jobs, about 7 bucks now. Great if you use large hooks, puts a cutting edge on 1,2,3.

Pfleuger Medalist- a good basic, simple reel, still fine for stuff that doesn't pull too hard. Still use old ones made in the USA as back up reels with odd lines.

Fenwick glass- my first big bucks rod at 35 bucks in the 60's, Still gets some use on small streams. They were the bomb back in the day, and it's still a sweet stick.

And after 10+ years

Hodgeman neoprene waders- don't know how they managed to last this long, but i still use the same pair for cold weather fishing. The only care they've received is to get hosed down once in awhile and thrown in the back of the truck out of sunlight.

Renzetti Tool Caddy- don't know why i like it so much, but it makes life easier at the bench, at about 20 bucks now it's still a bargain.

Tibor reels. Great for strong fish, when and if you need them. Overkill if you don't, but in this case you get what you pay for. The Charleton Mako is another reel in the same category now if you're in the market for a new one.

Sage sp's and rplx's still work great for me, sps for trout, rplx's for sw. These are the older 3 piece ones so are a pain to fly with now.

This has been a trip down memory lane- thanks for that.

peregrines