View Single Post
Old 03-20-2012, 09:53 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dropper problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
Attach a lighter 12-18" tippet to your main tippet with a Surgeon's Knot and leave the (heavier) tag line about 6" long… snipping off the other tag (towards the rod tip) close (as normal).

Now you have two (2) free tippets which allow the flies to drift/act independent of one another.

I almost always fish a two fly rig in this fashion with the heavier fly (if applicable) on the upper, heavier line.

By tying them in this fashion, keeping the tag line short (<6") and using two different tippets (4X/5X, 5X/6X, 6X/7X, etc.) the flies rarely tangle. This method works great for swinging a pair of wets, or a nymph/wet as well.

I don't like to attach tippet to another fly as I believe it kills the action and/or affects the drift.
If you want a 'true dropper' set up the above is an excellent way to go. Rig tends to make the upper fly 'stand off' even when casting.