Thread: Rod for Redfish
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2012, 12:17 PM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Rod for Redfish

No offense taken. I am not exactly a novice, I put more than 100 days a year on the water, most of it on smaller freshwater bodies, but I can estimate distances with the best of them.

A lot of the casting was indeed probably between 30 and 50 feet, some fish were only 5 feet from the boat. But when I need to reach out to those longer distances quickly, and it did happen regularly, a fast action rod is what I want, especially in wind.

As far as flies....capt. Blaine supplies those. It has been my experience, after having fished from Labrador to AK to Costa Rica.....fish what your guide tells you. I'll take a box full, but if what he says to fish is not in there, then I'll happily tie on one of his. We fished literally 100's of acres of grassy flats down there where the reds were chasing shrimp and crabs.

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 AM ----------

Capt. Blaine did sya that there was less grass than in years past......seemed like a lot to me!

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.