View Single Post
Old 03-20-2012, 01:03 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dropper problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor fly View Post
Everyone,

One last thing, Anyone got any tips for tying a good Blood knot? It's giving me fits! I can tie a nice one using bigger tippets, but after 4x, it gets rough. (Bumbly fingers I suppose). Also, I have had trouble getting it to hold in the past and losing two flys instead of just one on a hang up, suggestions?
Years ago there was an extensive test of the best way to tie a blood knot. It resulted in some little known facts about how to tie the strongest blood knot. One fact that is not well know about the blood knot is that the strongest knot results when the length of the knot on each side of the joint is of equal length. If we make an equal number of wraps of the line on each side, the thinner and weaker line will be "grabbing" a shorter section of the thicker line.

Another finding was that the strongest knots had at least 4 wraps but no more than 6 wraps on each side. Any less or more and the knot weakens.

To follow those two rules, I make 4 wraps with the thicker line and 5 wraps with the thinner line. This makes the length of the wrapped sections about equal and the number of wraps lie within the 4 to 6 range.

Blood knots take some practice to master and if you are going to tie them, you might as well tie the best one you can. As for hints, I do the twists on the heavier line first and put it through loop. It helps to keep the loop more open and uses fewer turns than doing the thinner line first.

So practice, practice, practice.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Last edited by silver creek; 03-20-2012 at 04:02 PM.