View Single Post
Old 03-24-2012, 03:26 PM

physiognomy is on a distinguished road
Default Hi... New to fly fishing

Hi everyone!

I've been reading your forum for a couple of weeks now, & thought I better jump in and introduce myself. Thank you all for generously sharing your knowledge and experience with newcomers like me. I have definitely learned a lot already & look forward to reading more & participating where I can.

This year will be my first season fly fishing... I've always used spin gear up until now & grew up fishing for bream, tommy ruff, gar, and whiting around Gulf St Vincent. Moving to a landlocked part of the world has put a cramp on my desire to get out and fish over the last 10yrs, but I'm going to change that. Colorado has some amazing fishing waters & its time to try my hand at fishing like a local. When I've been out in the past, it always seems like the guys who use fly gear do at least 50% better than I do with a light spinning rod. Anyway, enough rambling about my motivation...

I also have to admit that fly fishing attracts the 'gear head' side of me. I can't tell you how much fun it has been to research what I'll need, learning the better brands,different rods/reels/lines, etc, etc. I finally settled on a couple Ross FC 9' rods on sale at Cabelas & matched them with Ross flyrise reels. I liked that Ross was based here in CO & the great warranty on their products. Bass Pro had a nice deal on Sage Ultimate Performance (floating, weight forward) line, so I'm all set for practice casting at the park... I hope to set up a lesson or two here in the next week & then head to a local stream shortly after.

Again, thanks for having me!

Peter