View Single Post
Old 03-24-2012, 09:06 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: SPL vs SLT for light line fly fishing

wolf -- I have a 9-0 4wt SLT and I love it, use it for 90% of my fishing. It is a wonderful dry fly rod, but nymphs well too. It has a nice medium action.

I also have a 282-3 SPL and what can I say...I love it too. But being a 2wt it is limited to casting dries and unweighted wets and nothing bigger than #12. It is a little "slower" I would say. But damn, it is dream to cast dries 30 feet with that rod.

I think either of those 3wts would be stellar small stream rods...and not just small fish rods. I wouldn't target big trout but either of those rods will handle 14-16" trout, the SLT would be a sweet spring creek stick for bigger fish. I guess it comes down to what you want it for, where you fish and if the extra 6" would help or hinder you. You can't go wrong with either.

I'd pay $350, that sound like a steal to me. The SLT was a $560 rod 5 years ago.