View Single Post
Old 03-29-2012, 10:06 PM

jason41987 is on a distinguished road
Default i may begin fly fishing... questions and advice?

hey everyone.. i do a lot of fishing, but currently i do mostly lure, sometimes bait/float fishing when i just want to relax...

well i love close to a pretty large river... by close i mean it would take me about 60 seconds on foot to reach it... fairly large, it is the allegany river in northwestern, PA...

well, where im at the stream moves pretty fast, floats just float away, sinkers even float away, and lures dont stay where you put them... i remembered seeing people fly flishing in faster streams and it always seems to work better... well atleast, that was the assumption that got me reading into fly fishing more

anyway, the more i read, the more fly fishing interests me, and it seems like something i could really get into... common species here are pike, walleye, bass, carp, bowfin, etc... usually fairly large fish... not much trout as most trout just make a delicious meal for the pike....

that being said... ive learned a bit so far, theres still a lot more for me to learn... but what would be a good beginner fly-fishing setup for $100 or less?...

i would no doubt have to practice casts that allow me to fish from sometimes confined places, as well as standard casts, but i have a backyard im sure i could practice with a plug in until i got it right...

... its my understanding on the reel its backing material, the fly line, the leader, tippet, and then a fly...

with the leader attaching to the main line via a knot that allows the old leader to relatively easily be removed, and replaced without having to cut the main line... what exactly is the purpose of the tippet, if the leader itself is rather disposable?

are flies manually tied on or is there some kind of knot that can be used for quickly removing and changing flies?

and my final questioning... should i just suddenly decide to sit down and relax for a bit, is it possible to float fish with a fly rod/reel setup?.. just cast out there and wait with a little bit of bait or a fly dangling on under?

if this is in fact possible, would i be better off with a reel i could change out the spool for a different type of line (such as those used in spinning and baitcast reels) or is it ok to use the fly line for this purpose?

what is the backing material on a fly line typically made from? do people use monofilament, braided, etc? or is it some special line?...

everyone seems to have their preference of fly line to use.. but should someday i just feel like being traditional, would i be able to use a silk or twine fly line, like they used to use before the 1950s?

excluding the cost of the backing, fly line, leader, tippet, and flies, what would you recommend for a fly rod/reel setup for $100 or less?

and are there anything else i would need for a complete setup that i havent mentioned?..

---- anyway.. thanks in advance for any advice or answers...