View Single Post
Old 03-29-2012, 10:45 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: i may begin fly fishing... questions and advice?

I was in Dick's Sporting Goods yesterday (they have a good sale going on a decent quality carry-bag for waders), and I noticed that even THEY have some decent starter sets, as compared to previous years. Another good location in the NE is Gander Mountain. Gander isn't as well "known" as Bass Pro or Cabela's, but they also have decent selection of equipment and accessories, though not much in tying materials....

And don't write-off your local fly-fishing shops. They sometimes take trades or consignments off of folks that want to upgrade, and they often have "starter kits" for folks that have never fly-fished or for customer fly fisherman that want to introduce a friend or family member to the sport.

I, too, was an active spin fisherman before turnning to flies. The BEST part for me is that fishing used to be seasonal! Our (NY) general trout season doesn't open until Sunday, but I've been busy with my fishing addiction for a few months, now, tying flies as often as I can. I'm estimating well over 175 flies since the first of the year.... tied the last of my Fat-Head Beetles for the Terrestrial Swap tonight. Now I can start on my Drakes....

Welcome to the sport, addiction, or obsession, or.... well, you get the idea!

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky