View Single Post
Old 03-30-2012, 08:04 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of
Default Re: What have you been tying today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
PT.. are there tying instructions anywhere for these Buffalo Bump flies? They look really cool.. thanks, Dave
Dave,

BUFFALO JUMP is an access point on the Stillwater River, that is where the name comes from:

Click the image to open in full size.

RED/ ORANGE PT (BUFFALO JUMP)

HOOK: Daiichi 1560, TMC 3761 , TMC 100 SP BL, #12-#18

THREAD: Uni 8/0 Brown, to secure tail, rib and abdomen

TAIL: Lemon Wooduck

RIB: Wapsi, Copper/Brown wire SM

ABDOMEN: Red Pheasant Tail fibers...then

THREAD: Wapsi 6/0 Fl. Orange

THORAX: Orange Ice Dub 50%., Nat. Squirrel Belly 50%

WING CASE/ LEGS: Rusty Brown Krystal Flash

BEAD: Silver Tungsten, sized to hook

I have been playing around with a number of different tail, abdomen, thorax, collar and bead combinations for these attractor patterns. I am leaning towards using the TMC 100 SP BL hook exclusively, for these guys and have a bunch of Datum glo-brite on order to use for the collars...that stuff is the brightest floss on the market...

Datum Glo Brite Floss - UK

I like to use them as my lead fly in a two fly set up and have had a great deal of success with this pattern...

Buffalo Jump on the Stillwater River, MT...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/