View Single Post
Old 03-31-2012, 07:59 PM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold
Default crappie and shellcracker.....two of my favorite

I had the itch to fish after 2 weeks of no fishing. Had a buddy offer to take me to one of his crappie spots. I only caught 2 smaller ones, mainly because I refused to put down the fly rod.

I stubbornly suffer through tough fishing with a fly rod when I could easily have picked up a jig and caught a lot more like my buddy. However, I feel that if every time it gets tough, I put down the fly rod, I won't learn. So, sometimes to my own demise, I keep casting the fly. It was difficult here because it was essentially a shallow stump field off of a main river. Stripping a clouser minnow through a stump field is asking to donate flies to the water, and I lost my fair share. But I wasn't skunked.
Click the image to open in full size.

Change of scenery for the afternoon. Went to a little creek that almost always has hungry fish. I had bought a new 7'6" 3wt (TFO Lefty Kreh Sig Series) that I wanted to break in. I went straight to my favorite hole and caught lots of bluegill, red breasted sunfish, and thought I hooked into a bass. Finally saw that it was this guy:

This pig of a shellcracker had been caught not too long ago in the exact same spot. However, now he was even bigger and a real thrill on a 3wt.

It was a good day. Maybe I'll fish again tomorrow.

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur