View Single Post
Old 04-01-2012, 06:02 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Flycast tips or tricks for a 1WT

Well it is 85 in Denver today, yard work is done for the spring....lawn is aerated and fertilized. The sprinklers are dialed in and the trees and bushes are trimmed.

My weekends are ready to be spent on the pursuit of staring aimlessly at miles of high mountain streams while unemcumbered by iphones, blackberries,mobile hotspots for laptops ahhhhhhhhhh

I broke out the 7' 1wt this afternoon as well as 5 or 6 other rods to inspect the reels / lines etc etc. So I need all of your help. When casting my 1WT the forward cast is fine, I get a fairly tight loop and decent line speed for a 1WT. My question is the back cast, I noticed the line is so light it sort of really limps out and falls flat after about 20' of line come out. In other words with 30' out on a 4wt I have 30' of line parallel to the ground on the backcast.With the 1Wt it sort of collapses towards the ground.I know what you are thinking rght now and no I never take this over 25-30' max, after all it is a 1WT saved for those perfect August afternoons free of wind and plenty of Caddis hatch.

Someone on here talked about casting and having a positive stop (squeeze the cork) as you stop your forward cast. That helps so much with the UL gear.

Any tips for the backcast ?

I should add I am not a great caster of flies but also not terrible either. Generally I dont collapse or breakdown on the backcast, I tend to keep an even plane on my cast.....like I said not great but not bad either.