View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012, 11:39 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: George Anderson's "4-Weight Shootout"

There is more diversity of rod type in this test via including both short and long versions and Trout and GPX lines. It is curious for me as my basic trout quiver includes two #4 rods: an 8 1/2' with a delicate tip progressively tapering into a a medium fast mid and butt section for spring creek environments and a 9' faster action 4-weight for small dries on big technical tail waters.

My newest 8 1/2'/#4 in a long line of such rods is the winner of this shootout, the Hardy Zenith which I have been fishing for a year now with Hardy's Ultralite DD and a RIO Gold #4...a very cool outfit. Currently a Scott S3 9'/#4.5 loaded with the GPX is my bigger water little rod but I intend to replace it with one of the losers in this test like the NRX 4.5 or the Sage ONE.

I favor a tight-looped, high line-speed dry fly delivery to effectively turn over my line and 15+' leader (5' of tippet) to execute a reach cast with in-air mends and wiggles before my fly wafts down into the trout's precise feeding lane. As I write this I am distracted by the fantasy of the short hackle legs of my thorax dun rotating the fly on its slack tippet as they brush against the overhanging grass draping over the creeks bank. Near the end of the drift is a matte of grass below which I have detected a bulge...I hope my imatation arrives as if unattached simultaniously with the timing of that bulge which is insuring that a good number of PMD's never get to moult and reproduce.

Last edited by sweetandsalt; 04-03-2012 at 11:55 AM.