View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 03:19 PM

fishosopher is on a distinguished road
Default Customer Disservice at Orvis

For Christmas my wife got me a pair of Orvis warm water wading shoes from Orvis. Actually, I ordered them over the internet. When Orvis charged me sales tax, I emailed them that Minnesota does not have sales tax on clothing. They emailed me back that because they had a fly shop named Bentley's in the state, they had to charge me sales tax. I emailed them back that Bentley's had closed three months ago, and anyway MN does not charge sales tax on clothing. They emailed me back that they had a dog training facility in MN and had to charge me sales tax. I emailed them back that MN still didn't charge sales tax on clothing. They emailed me back that boots weren't clothing. I called on the phone and was told, "That's just the way we do it at Orvis."

The boots seemed to be of good quality, but didn't fit. I felt jumping a size would make them too large, so I returned the boots along with an exchange order for a pair of pants.

Orvis charged my credit card for the pants, but didn't credit me for the boots. And again I was charged sales tax. I called them about the charges. The man I talked with said that they were probably working on the credit. I suggested that they should have only charged me for the difference. He said, "That's just the way we do it at Orvis."

I said that I should not have been charged sales tax on the pants because there's no sales tax on clothing in Minesota. He said I should apply to the state for a refund. And oh yeah, "That's just the way we do it at Orvis."

Now Orvis has about $220 of my money. I haven't received either the pants or the credit, but I expect that eventually I will. I'm not going to apply to the state for a tax refund...just to much paper work for $7.44.

Orvis is an excellent marketing company. Good brand name and this year's pot lamps are lovely. But they're hit or miss on fly fishing equipment, and they'll charge you sales tax other internet marketers won't (think 7% on a $700 rod!) even on clothing in Minnesota.
We're all in the same boat. We all come 'ere and we don't know why. We all go in our turn and we don't know where. If you are a bit better off, be thankful. And if you don't get into trouble an' make a fool of yourself, well, be thankful for that,'cos you easily might.--J.B.Priestley