View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Secret Weapon fly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdy View Post
Dang you guyz really can keep a secret!
Ha!! That was good.

First out of the box for me tends to be a sparkle dun, x caddis etc. but some personal favs-- and not secret by any means:

soft hackles are great, orange and partridge for me. A great searching fly when you run out of ideas.

black marabou muddler, a big one fished on a sinktip has been a hard worker and has caught some decent sized browns. And like the soft hackle, they seem to be idiot proof- not that they always work, but when you fish them you always feel like you're at least in the game and that good things could happen at any moment.

Deer Hair Emerger- it doesn't seem fair that a fly this easy to tie works so well.

I like to skitter dries sometimes, usually around or after dark - Neversink Skater- a dry on a short shank hook with 4xl hackle, and a Grey Fox Variant are 2 patterns I like a lot and are a blast to fish, and the GFV a pretty good pattern for eastern green drakes, grey fox and other eastern mays.

Let's see if anyone else spills their guts...

peregrines