View Single Post
Old 04-04-2012, 09:47 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 1 hour, 8 fish, 3 species, 2 firsts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrl0004 View Post
Awesome! Sometimes pond fishing is really great, like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get.

As for the confusion caused by "bluegill" identification, you're probably better off calling them all bluegill! Around here we have longear sunfish, red breasted sunfish, bluegill, shellcracker, green sunfish, warmouth, rockbass and probably something else I'm forgetting. The problem is that most of these hybridize so easily that it can be quite a task to differentiate them as a singular species.

A good guide I found from TN is here: TWRA - Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency - Sunfish Identification

It has several examples of each species and how the colors can be variable.
It is...I love the pond when I just have a quick hour to kill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bks View Post
outstanding
Thanks!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke 'Em View Post
All the different sunfish are actually separate species, not just separate subspecies.
Aren't they subspecies of the family Centrarchidae? I have a rough intro to biology knowledge at best of this sort of thing....

Also, when I say that all of them are "bluegill" to me, I specifically mean the Lepomis genus.