View Single Post
Old 04-06-2012, 01:03 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Reluctant Bass -OKC

Situations like this are always difficult to diagnose without seeing what's going on, and even then not so easy. My take on pond bass is that usually, if you can easily see them, they likewise will see you, particularly if the pond gets fished frequently. It may be they're making ready for spawning, which has their attention, rather than eating. It could also be the water temp is still not as warm as it could be, their metabolism is still a bit slow & they're suspended where you're seeing them & just soaking up the warmth. Doesn't appear that they're actively feeding. I would first watch them awhile, attempting to keep them from knowing you're there & try to see if they're eating anything, then try to get into a casting position, with as much stealth as possible. I would try a light weight offering, perhaps a 2-3 inch streamer, something that will land softly & suspend just below the surface, or sink very slowly.

A streamer with a coloration that mimics some prey species that may be present might be the best approach, but I've never found bass to be all that particular, so even generic patterns will probably work. I would also cast it within their sight, but not too close, maybe a foot or two in front of them, and let it sit there. If they appear interested, and move in slowly, then make it dart & appear to be injured & fleeing, but don't pull it away out of their reach. They may not be inclined to chase it.

If they won't take it, keep trying. It will likely take a great deal of patience & persistence & you may have to just aggravate them to get a take.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!