View Single Post
Old 04-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Allen Fly Fishing - Product Discounts

I also met Justin today at the Wasatch Expo, he's a nice guy.

Took a few rods for a "test drive" and was impressed with them, great casting sticks at a very affordable show price.

I've been wanting to see what the Allen Olympic Spey Rod was about, so Justin lined up the 13' 6" 8wt for me and off I went. The show's casting ponds were in heavy use so I went to an open area behind the curtains and even without the use of water to help me anchor and load the rod I was able to easily throw the entire line into the backing using a single spey cast. Yea, I like this rod! Planning to check out the 12' 5wt tomorrow, I'll see if I can get Wovenstonefly to toss it around too.

Cromney and I also cast the Xa in a 8' 6" 4wt. Nice rod too, but just a bit fast for me, I got the impression that Cromney really liked it.

The "sleeper" rod to me was the mod/fast 'ats' in 9' 6wt, the rod cast nicely at 25-30' and when I leaned into it, it had no problem keeping line in the air and I was able to throw a nice cast to within 5' of the backing. I thought that was pretty good considering I had never touched the rod before. I may not get this rod tomorrow, but I will have one sooner or later. Very sweet!

Overall I was impressed with Justin's lineup of rods, they cast well, and the aesthetics are as good as, if not better than many of the more expensive rods out there. Good job Justin.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Last edited by fysh; 04-07-2012 at 09:26 PM.