View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012, 07:40 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: any word on ZXL upgrade??

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojohn View Post
I think the ZXL is the best rod that Sage makes. A Winston WT doesn't need boron, and a ZXL doesn't need Generation #+ or Konnetic Technology to make it great. It is already a fantastic fly rod. New technology may improve rod strength and reduce weight, but at what cost? The flagship series of trout & saltwater rods, XP's, Z-Axis, One, Two, Three's, Xi2/3/4/5/6's, can be updated every year or two as Sage sees fit, however; it would be a shame to mess with a great rod like the ZXL and turn it into the VXP-Z-Axis/XL.
I agree the ZXL is a great rod. I have the 386 and loved it so much I bought the 486. However, I find they are so similar in performance they are almost interchangeable. I also have a Z-Axis 490 and was looking for something to fit between the 386 ZXL and the 490 Z. I was probably trying to fill a gap that doesn't exist. I bought the 486 from an online retailer that will give me full credit for the purchase price as trade in so I've been casually wondering for the last year what to do. I've considered the ONE in 486 but like Frank I think the hardware is a bit funky, but I do like the black blank.
Rich