View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012, 07:32 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: first 'gill on a dry this year

Sounds like you had fun! I'm looking forward to getting out and chasing some panfish.

I got out this afternoon and practiced casting.... trouble was, I was "practicing" in a trout stream, with a variety of different flies on the end of my line.... Alas, all I did was "practice" casting, as I never even had a hit... Looked like the stream had been fished pretty hard since opening day (last Saturday).... shoreline brush pretty well stomped down, forked sticks sticking up in strategic locations along the bank, picked up a pocket full of monofilament waste left all over and another pocket full of styrofoam worm cups, so it may be "fished-out" or "spooked" for a few weeks, until more fish move in...

There was a hatch of large (size of a quarter) brown winged insects coming to the surface (I still have to begin learning to identify hatches), but I saw no rises at all. Tried a mix of nymphs, emergers, and dry's, all with no hits. Spent the last 30 minutes that I was there working my way back downstream towrds my jeep working a wollybugger, just to try something different.

Learned a few lessons, though:

1) I still need more practice casting.
2) I have NO IDEA what the optimum leader/tippet length should be for any particular circumstance.
3) I need to practice my leader to tippet knots.
4) I have too much stuff hanging on my lanyard, getting in the way.
5) Streamside trees are not my friends.

But I had fun, as a bad day fishing, STILL beats a good day working!

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky