View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012, 11:17 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fished St. Vrain yesterday, forgot my camera--ughh!

Fortunately you didn't really spill the beans saying you fished the St Vrain. Now where you parked and the location of the pool, well that's something you'd only want to share privately, like with me via PM

I have a favorite spot, a little creek/wetland area somewhere between Denver and Steamboat Springs (how's that for vague?). It's slow-moving and generally shallow water with a lot of little brookies, rainbows, and browns in it. But here and there the water has carved out some deeper pockets that hold some nice fish. The first I noticed when I was half-heartedly drifting a 14 pheasant tail nymph through a stretch I was about to wade. An 18 inch brown darted out of shadows and grabbed it. Then a 20 inch rainbow took my humpy and I was in shock. This was followed by a 16 inch rainbow in about a foot of water grabbing a size 18 ant. They were fun on my 3wt. Anytime someone would ask me about the spot I'd say, "yeah I caught a bunch of little ones". There's enough well known trout waters around it that most folks wouldn't waste their time.

I rarely use my camera fishing and when I do it's usually to take pictures of the river or my buddies fishing. I've found, like most things in life I really enjoy, both pictures and trying to describe the experience afterwards lose a lot. My favorite is the moment of the take followed closely by seeing the beautiful fish before releasing it. Mixed in with those is just being out on the river. As much as I like the pictures of fish I catch, they don't come close to actually seeing them, nor do the pictures of the river convey what it's like being there. I don't buy the idea that if there's no picture, it didn't happen. It happened and is remembered where it counts and I don't need pictures to enjoy it. I'm not knocking folks who like pictures or saying I never take them (I do), just that it really doesn't bug me when I forget my camera.