View Single Post
Old 01-21-2009, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your biggest fish on a fly?

Wow, great fish on the 5x, and Riptide, that must have been like groundhog day for those 3 days.

I used to do a lot of tarpon fishing, and have caught a few somewhere around 120-135 ish, as well as many 90-60.

Most of the time on Sage Rplx's or Rplxi's on 10, 11 and 12 weights and Tibor Gulfstreams ( on 11 and 12), Riptides (on the 10) and older Pate Tarpon reels on a 12 weight.

But all the credit should go to the guide, Rob Fordyce. He makes good things possible for someone with zero skillz like me.

Biggest trout so far was 28" brown on a black marabou muddler stripped like crazy through a pool on a sink tip, with a Sage SP 5 weight and Lamson 2.0 reel.

Maybe the weirdest was a 32 pound chinook salmon. I saw it holding below a riffle and made several 'perfect' casts repeatedly to it with the fly (some purple speyish roll your own thing) swinging in front of it with no interest. I finally blew a cast and the fly landed 15 feet away. The fish zoomed over and crushed it. I still scratch my head about that one.

Pics of the tarpon are all on film, I'll see if I can figure out where/how to get them scanned. No pic of the trout unfortunately.

Great thread!

peregrines