View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 02:02 PM

txshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura about

You're right on, silvercreek - especially with the part about how hopeless it would seem to a beginner if we tried to explain ALL of that to them at first.

I'm no certified casting instructor, but I can cast. I learned how to cast years ago while trying to cast deer hair bass bugs on glass rods in the ever present West Texas wind. If you do that, you either give up or you figure out how to get the line and fly out to where the fish are. If you choose to attempt the latter, then you will find out what makes the fly do what you want it to do. You can get away with bad technique like a rotational 10 - 2 stroke when you're casting short distances in calm winds with a small trout fly on the leader. But when you have less than ideal casting conditions, you have to throw tight lops with high line speed to make it work.

The only casting video that I watched in the old VHS tape days that produced good results was one of Lefty Kreh's. I wish I could remember which one it was. He basically said to forget about 10 - 2, and then he demonstrated moving the rod tip in a more linear back and forth motion. This jived with what I had adapted to by trial and error and feel already, so naturally I decided that old Lefty was pretty smart.

Whenever I teach someone to CAST, I try to get them to focus on what the rod tip needs to do since the line WILL move in the exact same direction, path, and speed as the rod tip. That takes the focus off of the caster's arm and wrist and puts it on something that they can see better. Every person is built differently and moves a little differently. Allowing a person to find a motion that feels natural to him or her while accomplishing the goal of moving the rod tip (and the line) in the right path seems to work better for most people. If they can get the line to go up and back, wait until it straightens out, and then move it forward out over the water (not down into the water) then they are well on their way to a fin day on the water.