View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012, 08:52 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: What Did I get Myself Into!!

This is also going to sound crazy, but a friend of mine showed me a great way to iron out kinks in your casting...

Take a piece of dacron backing, starting with one about 8-10' long. Now try your casting stroke and try to throw loops with this. WAIT. Don't use a rod or anything. Don't change your casting stroke either. Eventually you'll start seeing loops appear and you'll be amazed. Then take a half or a quarter of a rod section and do the same with a longer piece of backing. This will highlight where the mistakes in your casting stroke are, and when you start throwing 20-30 ft of backing with a half a rod section you'll get a great confidence boost as well. This works for more than just standard overhead casting as well, as you can do pile casts, reach casts, and other things with just the backing. Plus the next time you pick up a rod not only will your casting be better but if you do have any problems you'll have a much better idea where they are coming from. Definitely a neat trick, and also something you can do in places you wouldn't want to be flipping around a fly line.

Plus if you want to make a game out of it, put a ring on the wall and tie a 2-3" loop in the end of the dacron. See who can hang the loop on the ring first. The main thing is, you won't see improvement in your casting stroke if you modify it for this game or casting the backing, so don't cave to temptation!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...