View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012, 09:44 AM

mysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to all
Default Small Stream Nirvana

I took the family to a nearby National Park over the Easter week-end. As a belated B'day present, my wife granted me a 1 day pass for unlimited fishing Here are a few pictures that are representative of the day. After the first few fish pictures, I decided to put away the camera and focus on hitting the right spots on the stream & ensuring that I did not snag in the trees on the back cast.

Click the image to open in full size.

I had tied a variety of dry, nymph and wet flies for the trip & was hoping that the patterns I had tied would work. As I found out the fish really took a liking to a few patterns and I had a wonderful time guiling the native rainbows into tasting my offerings.

I learned a few valuable lessons during the day's fishing session - (1) a rod that allows casting off its tip & with a medium to slow action makes the experience more enjoyable. I alternated between my superfine 4wt and Winston WT 2wt and found the Winston's action more appropriate. (2) don't wade and cast at the same time. I have a swollen left knee as a result of doing this (3) I found that a more neutral (olive) line color was more effective than a brighter (Peachy orange) one.

Almost all the rainbows hit the Stimulator (afternoon) & BHPT (morning). I had a few that went after a parachute adams pattern. It was so cool seeing the fish rising from the depth to hit the dries. The speed with which they take the fly is unbelievable. I had to always be ready to set the hook instantaneously...otherwise they would bolt after tasting the hook.

All in all, a fantastic experience that was capped with my 4 y.o. landing her first little rainbow (w help from Daddy) on a fly rod.