View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 06:12 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Beginner: Different technique for slow rod?

In the recently posted video of Steve Rajeff:
Take note of the section between 0:46 and 1:14. Steve is pretty much holding the stop positions while simply increasing the stroke length.
One can baffle the beginner with brilliance or keep it simple and succinct and help them enjoy casting instead of being intimidated by it.
In teaching new to moderate casters I stress the stop. You can't effectively make the line go without a firm stop. That seems to click with them and is driven home with a demonstration of casts with and without a positive stop. We've all had students who rip the loop open by dropping the rod tip, especially on the presentation cast.
To keep the stop concept into terms that can be visualized we've all heard of imagining a brick wall behind and in front of us that forces the rod to stop high. I use the 10:00 and 2:00 analogy to help drive the point home of the importance of the stop but follow it up by simply pointing the index fingers of both hands while next to each other at 10 and 2 and slowly drawing the fingers apart while keeping them pointed at 10 and 2. I explain that for more distance you generally want more stroke length while still keeping the positive stops.
I hope I hang up the rod if the day comes when my student’s eyes glass over from my instructions.