View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 07:14 AM

Capt Chris M is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What Did I get Myself Into!!

I do redfish trips, which are very similar to bonefish and see the same few things happen week after week that prevent people from catching fish.

1. Distance - must be able to get at least 40 ft, preferably 50-60 if needed. many days I spend the whole time saying "you're 5 feet short"

2. Speed - Must be able to deliver the fly in 2-3 strokes. This means you have to start with line outside the tip and, in our waters, the fly in your hand. Look up Saltwater Quick Cast on Youtube. The less false casts, the better.

3. Accuracy - many time, you anly get one shot so you need to make it count

4. Understand how to cast a loop. People can get away with a lot of bad habits when there is no wind. As soon as it blow 5mph, large open and sloopy loops collapse and distance suffers

Teach a beginner how a fly cast works. What rules must be followed to cast correctly. That way they can begin to analyze their own casts when practicing and know how to correct common mistakes. The "just move the rod like this" school of teaching does nothing to help the student know why a cast did or did not work. I get many lifelonig fly fishermen on my boat that have no idea what a loop is or how a cast works. If you come on board knowing how a cast should work, a 10 minute tuneup is easy. If not, we spend an hour or more trying to just learn the basic cast.

Last edited by Capt Chris M; 04-13-2012 at 02:55 AM.