View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 10:02 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Another Invasive

Hogweed! I worked an incident, as the Incident Safety Officer, a few years ago, in Western NY, where Hogweed is more prevelant, and I had documented the danger in my Safety Message in the Incident Action Plan. The incident had to do with yet ANOTHER invasive, the Emerald Ash Borer, a bug that eats into Ash trees. Ash is a major wood product in NYS, as it's key to both the furniture industry and the baseball bat industry. One of the field workers, a Fed etymologist (brought in from out-of-state), evidently knew his bugs better than he did his leaves..... Not only did he get some of the sap on his hands and then rub around his eyes, he also apparently used one of the big leaves as a piece of "Nature's TP".

He was in considerable pain, required hospitalization, and I felt badly for him. That said, the Incident Commander, the Ops Chief, and I had a hard time holding down the hysteria while completing the Accident/Exposure Report.

Thankfully, I had documented the Hogweed hazard in the IAP, and had briefed on it at the morning Operational Briefing, so MY butt was covered!

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky