Thread: Weed wading?
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2012, 01:20 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Weed wading?

I duck hunt WMAs that are mostly silt catch ponds for ag run off. A lot of these are 3' of water over 8 inches of very sticky silt. The longer you stand the deeper you go. Muck in one spot tore the sole off one of my wading shoes. I tried Muckboots under the water and they didn't work: it was just more weight to try to pull out of the goo. I still have a pair and I'm waiting to try them in other muddy sites.
Sometimes, I'll use a float tube without flippers in these ponds and push myself around without putting weight on my feet so I don't get stuck-easier for chasing cripples and setting dekes.
You could try the tube thing over weeds, I guess, but be careful using a tube without fins on moving water or large bodies of water- very little control and you're at the mercy of the wind if you cant touch bottom.
For weeds, as above, stiff rod and fast retrieves. Also, be judicious in your tippet selection so you don't get hold of something you can't let go of.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey