View Single Post
Old 01-24-2009, 11:15 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Winter is here!!!!!!

Thanks for the info Ard,

I usually don't like to fish unless the outside temperature is warm enough to keep the guides from freezing, early afternoon when temps get into the 50s and things warm up a bit.

Unlike some of my friends, I also don't like to fish small tippets either (I prefer to put on a 5 or 6 lb. While it can be an art to bring a big fish in on a small tippet, seems to me that you have to pretty much wear them out to get them landed so I choose to land them a little more quickly so they have a better chance of surviving once released. So I do think about stressing the fish, but didn't see that as an issue in the cold water, while I know they tend to lay around, the water also tends to be more oxygenated in the winter so I didn't think the stress would be a major factor - oh well, live and learn.

Right now, the water is in the low 40s - Lake tahoe release and snow melt, but we have not had a really cold winter here daytime temps in the high 50s mostly.