Thread: Starting out
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2012, 05:37 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Starting out

I took a look at the wrapping kit and it looks like it will get you started. It has a different layout than any I've ever seen. Have you checked at Cabalas for the kits? I wrapped my first one using a dictionary for thread tension and 2 blocks of wood with a V cut to rest the shafts as you turned. Sometime around 1982 I got a rod rack from Cabalas and ordered the optional 3.5 rpm drying motor. The rack allowed for 2 different spools of silk to be loaded and tensioned at the same time and that became handy when I started Tipping my wraps.

Shop around, you'll enjoy wrapping rods. The only part that requires staying at it is when you varnish or Flex Coat the wraps. Otherwise you can wrap one guide and stop until the next time you are ready to do more.

Ard

---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

I just checked Cabalas, this looks like the new version of mine; Cabela's: Flex Coat Hand Rod Wrapper You would need to add the drying motor. Something I notice about the new age drying motors is they turn a lot faster than mine..............

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;