View Single Post
Old 04-21-2012, 01:15 PM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice
Default Bamboo hobo dapping rod build advice - some photos.

I am starting a project to build a rod out of a found piece of bamboo. At this stage I am gathering materials and strategies. I thought you guys would have some helpful input. You also might get a kick out of watching a newbie flounder around trying to build a strange and not necessarily functional fishing contraption.

The original idea was to build a simple hobo style bamboo dapping rod. I got to thinking it would be fun to wrap guides on it and fix a small length of old fly line to it for some short distance casting ability. Then I started looking at reel seats and handles.

Specs on the bamboo:
Found on the street in a pile for pick up in front of a neighbors house.
Not sure what species.
10.5' long. 1" thick at the base @9.5' it is 1/8" thick and at 10.5' probably 1/16th.

Plan so far: trim little branches off, file/sand down, treat for durability, varnish/paint/decorate, wrap guides and something to affix the fly line. I think I'll hold off on a cork grip and reel seat - I can always add those later, right?

Questions:
Is there a way to treat a whole piece of bamboo to achieve better flexibility and strength?
Should I varnish? What kind of varnish and paint (decorative/camoflaging) would you recommend?
Guides: How many? What kind? What size? How far apart? - I know there are probably lots of options, but which would you choose.
Materials: What suppliers would you recommend?

Any tips, wisdom, smart alec remarks, encouragement, etc. are welcome.

This is intended to be a fun project, the ability to cast accurately and catch fish with the thing would be nice but take a back seat to the DIY experience. If nothing else I will have a funny story and a decoration for the wall in my fishing cabin which I hope to have someday!
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach