View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 03:01 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How far can you cast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Some time back I attended a casting seminar with Bob Clouser
It was his opinion that it's important to be able to cast 80'
It was also his thought that anyone who said that they could cast further in a fishing situation was full of horse manure
(This guy's a gem)
He further stated that those who maintained that it wasn't important to be able to cast this distance only said so 'cuz they couldn't

Don't shoot me, I'm just telling you what he said

....There were only two of us out of about 20 in the seminar that could cast the 80' distance
No one cast further.
He may be a Gem and I think the Clouser may be the best fly ever invented but on this one "It was also his thought that anyone who said that they could cast further in a fishing situation was full of horse manure" I know he's full of manure. I've done it and I watch my Canadian buddy do it all the time. As far as the 80' thing goes, my most common comment on distance is "Most casters will never cast more than 80 feet." 80' seems to be the common wall. Still like him though.

On a side note I have heard people say you can't effectively hook a fish past 80' either. It may have been Clouser that said that as well. I'll admit I loose more out past that, but I get a lot of fish out there anyway. Last Fall almost all of them were past that. I was using my spey rod and most fish were well past a hundred. If I thought for a second that was true I would not have bought a 17' 11wt. blank and a Carron Jetstream long belly line. I won't be able to cast inside a hundred with that thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennypapa View Post
Why would you need to cast past your line into your leader?
I assume you mean backing. How about fish on the other side of where you are and you can't wade out far enough. How about fish feeding on the surface in water to far out and deep enough for you to get to without a boat. I can think of a lot of reasons. I think one of the reasons I get so many fish is that I don't have the "I can't catch that fish" cells in my brain. If you are determined you can get a lot of hard to get to fish. By the way I did that last summer with a really nice Smallmouth that kept hitting stuff on the surface way the heck out in the river. It was awsome. Made my whole month.

I think my best answer would be "I can cast all the way to the fish"