View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012, 01:20 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rod for the North East?

Will you be wading or boating? In the surf or bays? I've landed 30+lb Stripers on a 7WT but the problem will be the wind and the size of the fly. You want a 9 or 10wt to be able to reach the fish not so much for the fight. If I'm fishing a single handed rod from the surf I always take a 10wt, boats and back bays I can get away with a 9 or even lighter based on the conditions. Here are the two extremes in my waters:
1. CinderWorm Hatch - Happens on muddy flats in protected bays. I use small cinderworm flies size 2-6, floating line and a 7wt
2. Bunker schools in the surf - rough surf, wind, big baits. I use big bait fish flies 1/0-3/0 int or sink tips and a 10WT.