View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012, 03:07 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rod for the North East?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouch View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys. Lots of good info. For the most part, I don't see myself fishing from a boat. I guess I'll be in the estuaries or surf mostly. So the 10wt is primarily used to get a bigger fly or a heavier line that will sink below the chop faster?
Yes, moving bigger flies in wind is easier with a 10, or an overlined 9.
I use a 10 and a 30' T14 Rio sink tip. A full sink line will be more difficult to bring back to the surface for a cast. The full sink lines will serve two purposes:
1. The will get below the chop
2. Like Rip said they have a smaller diameter which allows them to cut through the wind better

Almost forgot, if your going to hit the surf buy or make a stripping basket. Rip posted a step by step around here somewhere...