View Single Post
Old 01-28-2009, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Which knot do you use ???

Hi tie one on,

I was thinking about you yesterday wondering where you were. I haven't see you post a whole lot this winter.

I would think that a small non-slip mono knot would work just fine with large flies. This assumes you are using a heavy enough tippet. If you are concerned with it breaking you might try this. Use a Uni knot with a very small loop. When a fish strikes the loop will close and you are fighting with a tight knot. You may have to leave the tag end of the Uni knot just a bit longer than normal.

Another thought for big flies is to use a Palomar Knot. It is one of the very strongest knots. With the Palomar Knot you will have two strands of mono through the hook eye. The problem with the Palomar knot is it uses a lot of leader to tye it on. Once you get good at tying it you can cut down on the line you use. Of course it is not a loop knot.

Frank