View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 10:53 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Re: Should I be able to cast my 3wt as far as my 5wt?

Well it is tough to see whats going on. Can't really see the rod or the line. But just from looking at your arm I do see a couple things that might help. The stroke I would want to see with a 3wt is when you first pick the line up to start casting. If you watch it you'll see a long slow stroke with the emphasis at the very end. After that you go right to a short power stroke on you fore and backstrokes. Keep that longer slower stroke through out your false casts. Those short power strokes work well on medium and fast action rods and not well on slow action ones. Copy that initial start stroke through out your cast and you should have better results.

Slow action rods are also referred to as full flex rods. When loading a full flex or slow rod you want the rod to flex the full length of the rod. A short power stroke will only load the upper portion of the rod. You need the longer smooth acceleration to load the whole rod effectively.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures

Last edited by Davo; 04-27-2012 at 11:23 PM.