View Single Post
Old 04-29-2012, 12:02 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Rod Love; the Fly Rod Picture Thread

Hi HR, I still have a Far and Fine too. You know your older Orvis rods like you do your Hardy Reels and I remember Phillipson too. Following reconstructive elbow surgery some years back I gave up most blind casting, largely giving the Atlantic salmon and steelhead a break. As a sight fisher more or less only now I have grown to prefer faster more technical rods than Orvis makes for my high line speed, super tight loop dry fly and bonefish presentation style. I deliver dry flies far more delicatly by turning the line and 15'+ leader over completly in the air while exicuting the reach and in-air mends before the fly alights on the surface. I can not tolerate line unfurling onto the water; I insist on laying it down after the fly has landed. Having said that, I am not parting with my sweet flexing older Orvis and Scott Pow-R-Ply rods despite my modern penchent for tecnical instrument like, un-forgiving of timing and stroke error Sage ONE and Loomis NRX type rods. I won't recomend them for swinging a weighted bunny fly or any subsurface fresh water application but for putting a Hendrickson dun right in a big browns feeding lane they are the greatest rods ever. S+S