Thread: help with cast
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2012, 10:12 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: help with cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
Since you said you snapped off some flies without snagging into the tree behind you, I assume that you were also hearing a "whip-crack" sound in your backcast? If this is the case, slow your cast down. Watch your backcast unfurl before accelerating to a stop in your forward cast. You may be overpowering your forward cast as well, or not having a solid stop (both would cause the pile in front of you as well as depriving you of good loops). If possible, try and get a video of your casting stroke, as we have some pretty solid casters on here that could diagnose what you're doing.

I agree with all of this and especially the part in red because I am finally starting to cure my forward cast of this same problem. It is very easy to start getting frustrated and start putting power into the forward cast too early.