View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012, 08:52 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Mission - Catch first carp on the fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamster321 View Post
Thats awesome!! That is my goal right now too! I have been wanting to catch a carp on purpose too! I will soon! I have been doing some of my own research on fishing for carp and trying to find carp patterns to tie. I have come across that backstabber carp fly too but haven't tied it. Now, I am going to tie one up and see if I can catch my own carp!! Thanks for the pics and story!! Nice job!!
It's an absolute must tie! All black with olive dubbing was the winner for me. I have read that this fly is best fished in still water or very little current. Do not make the same mistake I made...tie it on the right hook!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrp1 View Post
Try the Carp Carrot and the Chocolate Cherry. They are easy to tie and very effective.
Thank you! Those do look like some great flies

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbphotos54 View Post
the more of these stories i read the more I need to get out for carp, I just dont know for sure what to throw. I think it might be time for an All things Carp thread. the few flys I have that might work I got a feeling the hooks wont hold up.. I picked up some catfish hooks to tie on, but havent yet.
look forward to hearing about you catch that monster!
Mike
Thanks, Mike. There are countless flies that would work well. Like trout, pay attention to what they seem to be keying in on and go for that. If crayfish are in the water, I can almost guarantee that they are one of the primary food sources - especially the smaller ones. (size 8 or 10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Great story and photos, congrats on finally landing that first Carp!
Thank you! Sometimes the failures make it that much better when you succeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbblom View Post
Great reading your post, very reminiscent of my experiences so far.
I went out again yesterday for a couple of hours where some bigger carp live. Got one take, but missed it!
bUt similar to you, caught many small bass and a few big bluegills.
TB
It's a rush every time you set the hook....After setting the hook on three yesterday, I have learned that you will know if it's a carp the instant you yank up on that rod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo View Post
Nice report and beautiful fish!! Thanks for sharing.
Thank you!!