View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012, 08:36 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Severe electrical event

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Well I took the computer into the Geek Squad at Best Buy. I pulled the side off and said I thought the power suply bought the farm. They tested it in under three minutes. It was the power supply. The new one is on sale for $39.99. I'm going back to my Motel room and install the new one now. I wish I had brought the other one now. I hate to say it but the way it's acting I don't think it's going to be as easy a fix.

I also found out that surge protectors are only surge protectors for 2 or 3 years, then they are glorified outlets. That's why none of them tripped. They are all about ten or better years old. I spent more on electrical protection than I did to fix the dang computer. But it's a step in the right direction.

I can live without the second computer. I just use it for 2 programs that were not compatable with my new one. An awsome photoshop and the lakemaster map of Lake of the Woods. I may need to figure something out with that one. I'll miss the photoshop as well. Then there's the VHS, which let's face it is a dead technology. I may just give it a decent funeral.

Moral of the story, if your surge protectors are old, replace them.
I learned the hard way.
Dan: Interesting fact on surge protectors, I would guess that most of us are in the same boat! Thanks for the heads up and I feel your pain in loosing Photoshop.