View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 09:35 AM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold
Default Got to fish with a fellow forum member last evening...

My sincerest thanks to AJ (Gatortransplant) for a great evening of fishing on the Ellicott Creek, outside of Buffalo, NY. I had to be in the neighborhood for a week of training that I'm delivering, I had asked him about some places that I could go, and instead, he had offered to take me. AJ is a great "representative" of Allen Fly Fishing, and is a virtual "walking catalog" (or encyclopedia) on Allen, or on anything related to fly fishing.

We both got soaked, as there was a steady rain, but we both caught and released a couple of nice rainbows. There was a pretty amazing hatch going on despite the rain and cold weather, and the fish were rising to the hatch. I was fortunate, as I'm not experience enough yet to be "good" with drys, but they were hitting emergers and nymphs as well.

Here's a few pics that AJ took of me with one of my 'bows, both trying to get ahold of him to release the hook, and then holding him in the current to release him. I have never seen stockies with this much brilliant color. Most of the stockie "rainbows" closer to home look like silver trout. These had bright pinks, greens, aquas, and were truly rainbows.

BTW - Both of the fish that I caught were caught on flies that I had tied, making the experience even better.

We finished off the evening with a hot meal (and a cold adult carbonated beverage) at a local brewpub before going back to the hotel to hang all of my equipment to dry.

All-in-all, another great reason to be involved in this forum. You meet some great people who have similar interests (or obsessions!).

Click the image to open in full size.

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky