View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 11:54 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need help with shooting line

What you are describing sounds like the fly line is catching on the guides. I see by the photo that you posted that you have an automatic reel. I also notice that the butt section of your fly rod is thick. This indicates to me that you have a very old outfit, probably a hand-me-down.

So I want you to:

1. Examine the line for cracks and abrasions. It should have no cracks or roughness. If it does, buy a new line.

I also want you to examine the line for suppleness. It should not be stiff. If it is stiff, the plastic coating has hardened and you need to buy a new line. Another sign of a stiff line is too much memory. If it stays in coils that you cannot stretch out, buy a new line.

If the line is OK, I want you to clean it by washing it with soap and water and then treating it with a fly line treatment. I don't care what you use as long as it is made for fly line, and is not an automotive spray like Armorall. If the line is already shot you can use Armorall temporarily before you get a new line.

If you have been lawn casting, that is bad for fly lines. Grass causes micro cuts in the fly line and the dirt on the grass abrades the line surface. Do not lawn cast a line that you use for fishing. When I teach, I use lines that are only for teaching and that I don't use for my fishing.

2. Examine the fly rod guides and clean them. Use a Qtip to check them more small burrs and nicks. Examine the guides for grooves.

3. The size of the guides is important. Too big is better than too small. Small guides cause line slap against the fly rod blank.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy